Nonimmigrant Visas

Starting May 12, 2023, noncitizen nonimmigrant air passengers will no longer need to show proof of being fully vaccinated with an accepted COVID-19 vaccine to board a flight to the United States.  For more information please click here.

The U.S Embassy Pristina is only processing visa applications from Kosovo nationals or those who have a Kosovo residence permit. Appointments made by third-country nationals who do not meet these requirements will be canceled.

The MRV fee is valid and may be used to schedule an interview appointment in the country where it was purchased until September 30, 2023. Click here for more info.

 If you have an urgent matter and need to travel immediately, please follow the guidance provided at to request an emergency appointment.

The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Pristina is responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period and for those wishing to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.

Please visit our Global Support Services (GSS) website for complete information on applying for a nonimmigrant U.S. visa, including a directory of nonimmigrant visa categories.

To contact customer services of the GSS, please visit their webpage here.

With the exception of a Head of State or Government who qualifies for an A-1 visa regardless of the purpose of the visit to the United States, the type of visa required by a diplomat or other government official depends upon the reason for entering the United States.

Government officials traveling to the United States to perform non-governmental functions of a commercial nature or traveling as tourists require the appropriate H, L or B visa, or if qualified, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program; they do not qualify for diplomatic or official visas.

Diplomats and Government Officials (A-1 & A-2)

To qualify for an A-1 or A-2 visa, you must be traveling to the United States on behalf of your national government to engage solely in official activities for that government. The fact that there may be government interest or control in a given organization is not, in itself, the defining factor in determining whether or not an applicant qualifies for an A visa; the particular duties or services to be performed must also be of an inherently governmental character or nature. Government officials traveling to the United States to perform non-governmental functions of a commercial nature or traveling as tourists require the appropriate HL or B-1 or B-2 visas, or if qualified, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program; they do not qualify for diplomatic visas. Important note: Foreign officials who intend traveling to the United States on official business must obtain an “A” visa prior to their entry. They cannot travel on tourist visas, or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

Note:  Qualified A visa applicants traveling to the United States for assignments of less than 90 days will be issued visas annotated “TDY” (temporary duty).

Local government officials representing their state, municipality, or other local political entity do not qualify for “A” visa status;

International Organization Employee Visas (G)

Employees of designated international organizations, government representatives to those organizations, and government representatives traveling to attend meetings of a designated international organization receive G category visas.

To qualify for a G visa you must be entering the United States in pursuance of official duties. Members of a permanent mission of a recognized government to an international organization are eligible for G-1 visas. Representatives of a recognized government traveling to the United States temporarily to attend meetings of a designated international organization are eligible for G-2 visas. Representatives of non-recognized or non-member governments are eligible for G-3 visas. G-4 visas are issued to individual personnel who are proceeding to the United States to take up an appointment at a designated international organization, including the United Nations.

NATO – Foreign Military Personnel

You will qualify for a NATO-1, NATO-2, NATO-3, NATO-4, NATO-5 or NATO-6 visa if you are seeking admission to the United States under the applicable provision of the Agreement on the Status of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, National Representatives and International Staff, or are a member of the immediate family of an alien classified NATO-1 through NATO-6.

Please note that many armed forces personnel are exempt from passport and visa requirements if they are either attached to NATO Allied Headquarters in the United States and are traveling on official business, or are entering the United States under NATO Status of Forces Agreement. In the case of the later, they must carry official military ID cards and NATO travel orders.

Domestic Employees of A, G or NATO Visa Holders

Personal or domestic servants who are accompanying or following to join an employer who is the holder of an A, G or NATO visa are eligible for A-3, G-5 or NATO-7 visas.  This category of persons includes, but is not limited to, cooks, butlers, chauffeurs, housemaids, parlormaids, valets, footmen, nannies, au pairs, mothers’ helpers, gardeners, and paid companions.

Diplomats and Officials in Transit (C)

This visa is for a government official who needs immediate transit through the U.S. to conduct official business on behalf of a foreign government in another country or the UN Headquarters in New York.

  • C-2 is for an official (or unaccredited media representative) of a government not recognized de jure by the U.S. who needs to transit to the UN Headquarters in New York.
  • C-3 is for an accredited government official, their immediate family, and their attendants who need immediate transit through the U.S. to transact official business in another country.

Required Documents

You are required to furnish the following forms and documents in support of your visa application:

  • Confirmation page of the application form DS-160
  • A valid passport containing at least two blank pages;
  • One 5 x 5 cm (2” by 2”) color photograph taken within the last six months; In addition 
  • A-1 & A-2 visa applicants are also required to furnish a Diplomatic Note. The Diplomatic Note should list the name of the official traveler and specify their title or official status. It should also specify the date of departure from Kosovo, and the purpose of the trip and length of stay in the United States. Finally, the note should include the names, relationships, and dates of birth of any dependents and other members of household who will be accompanying or joining the principal;
  • G-1- 4 visa applicants are also required to furnish an official request from the appropriate international organization.This should be sent directly to the  Please confirm receipt before submitting your application by emailing the Embassy at;
  • Invitation
  • A-3, G-5 and NATO-7 visa applicants are required to furnish: 
    • A copy of the employer’s diplomatic visa;
    • English language contract signed by both employer and employee that at a minimum must include the following:
      • hours of work and medical insurance;
      • a guarantee that the employee will be compensated at the state or federal minimum or prevailing wage, whichever is greater. Any deductions for food and lodging must be no more than reasonable and voluntarily agreed to on the part of the employee;
      • the employee will not accept any other employment while working for the employer;
      • the employer agrees not to withhold the passport of the employee; and
      • If you have ever been arrested and/or have a criminal conviction , have a medical ineligibility , have been denied entry into or deported from the United States, the documents relating to this.
      • A-3 visa applicants must furnish a Diplomatic Note listing the name of the employee,  and the employer’s official title or status.  It should also specify the date of departure from Kosovo, and the purpose of the trip and length of stay in the United States; and
      • G-5 visa applicants must provide the original official request from the international organization, if it has not been sent directly to the Embassy.

How to Apply

U.S. Embassy Pristina processes all routine official A,  G, and C visa cases and all Diplomatic visa cases. Urgent questions – including official travel of government or international organization officials within the next 10 days – should be directed to our office by phone.

Diplomatic passport holders are exempt from paying visa fees for all types of visas. Official passport holders are not charged for official visas, but are required to pay visa application and reciprocal issuance fees, if applicable, for all non-official visas. Official visas can be entered into any type of passport: regular, official or diplomatic.

When the packet including the documents listed in the Required Documents section is complete, a courier/driver can deliver the application packet to the U.S. Embassy Pristina.  One business day before the packet will be dropped off at the embassy, please e-mail with the name of person who needs to be admitted into the embassy. If an interview is required, the submitting office will be notified.

Processing Times and Return of Passport

If the applicant is qualified, the Embassy processes the visa within one working day after the application packet is dropped off and notifies the employing organization to arrange for pick-up. Please note that some cases may require administrative processing-  we recommend that you do not purchase airline tickets until you have received your visa.

Government and international organization officials who are currently in the United States may renew their visas while still in the United States. Please click here for more information.