Refugees & Asylees

Using Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition, a person who has been granted asylum or refugee status in the United States (the petitioner) may petition to have his or her spouse and/or unmarried child(children), called beneficiaries, follow-to-join him or her in the United States. Overseas, the beneficiaries of Forms I-730 filed by asylees are known as follow-to-join asylees. Beneficiaries of Forms I-730 filed by refugees are known as follow-to-join refugees.

Please visit the State Department’s page for Follow-to-Join Refugees and Asylees for complete information regarding the process. Once you have reached step three of the process, email the consular section at for information regarding the medical examination and to schedule an interview.