Notarial Appointments

Due to COVID-19 and limited staffing, the United States Embassy in Pristina is focused on providing emergency services for U.S. citizens. However, if your passport has expired or will expire in the next six months, or you wish to document your newborn child as a U.S. citizen, please contact to schedule an appointment. Please note that U.S. Embassy is not authorized to provide notarial appointments at this time. 

Each notarial service requires an appointment, which is scheduled online.

Preparation For A Notary Appointment
  • Bring a valid government-issued photo ID (passport, U.S. state driver’s license, or military ID card).
  • Make sure you understand your document. We are not allowed to explain the contents to you.
  • Complete the document with the names, places, and dates before you arrive, and bring all pages of the document with you to the appointment.
  • Do not sign the form as you will sign it in front of a Consular Officer.
  • Please mark where you and the notary need to sign. The Consular staff cannot advise you.
  • We charge a $50 fee per notary seal in the document. Payment can be made with a Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners Club) or cash, payable in U.S. dollars or euros at the Embassy’s exchange rate.
  • If your document requires witnesses, you are responsible for providing these witnesses. Please include your witnesses’ name on your appointment request. Consular staff are prohibited from serving as witnesses.
  • Please note that we cannot notarize blank documents or documents missing pages.
Statement that a U.S. citizen is legally free to marry

Kosovo authorities require all non-Kosovar citizens to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage from their Embassy prior to marriage in Kosovo. To obtain the No Impediment to Marriage, the U.S. citizen must make an appointment and come personally to the Embassy and sign the Statement before a Consular Officer. The Statement can be downloaded at the following link: FTM statement (PDF 27 KB).

Authenticating Documents Issued In Kosovo

As of July 14, 2016, Kosovo has joined the Hague Apostille Convention. Countries that are party to the treaty recognize the Apostilles from all other member countries (including Kosovo and the United States) without need for authentication by any other authority.

U.S. Embassies do not have the authority to affix an Apostille to documents issued in Kosovo, the United States or in other member countries. Please do not schedule an appointment for this service. To obtain an authentication of a Kosovo document, please contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Department for Consular Affairs or the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Civil Registration Agency accordingly. For contact information please click here.

Authenticating Documents Issued In The United States

The U.S. Embassy CANNOT, by law, under any circumstances, authenticate a U.S. document. This includes birth certificates, marriage licenses, divorce decrees, educational records, driver’s licenses, etc., regardless of whether the documents have been notarized in the United States. Under the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, an “Apostille” by a U.S. clerk of court of a State Secretary or State is the official certification of authenticity of a U.S. document.

To authenticate a document for use in a country where the Apostille Convention is in force, which it is in Kosovo, visit the U.S. Department of State Apostille Requirements website.