Fingerprint and Criminal Record Checks

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

U.S. Embassy Pristina cannot provide background checks or fingerprinting services, nor can the Embassy authenticate background checks or health certificates.

Fingerprints: Police stations in many major Kosovo cities provide fingerprint services without charge.  Please call your local police station to verify hours and procedures, and to determine whether your local station has the necessary equipment or staffing. By default, Kosovo Police take fingerprints on a locally developed form. However, the Kosovo police will also accept FBI form FD-258 for fingerprint services. If your fingerprints must be taken on form FD-258, you must bring the form to your appointment; Kosovo police will not provide a copy. For quality assurance purposes, consider bringing several copies of FD-258 printed on high-quality paper to your appointment. For more information, contact the Kosovo police directorate that handles international cooperation at or call this office at +383 38 (0) 50 80 1047.

Residency Permit in Kosovo and Police check: Any U.S. citizen visiting Kosovo for more than 90 days (within a six month period) must apply for a temporary residence permit. You must provide proof of local health insurance and either a local or Federal police background check; the U.S. Embassy cannot assist you in obtaining background checks. You can request a local background check from the police department where you last resided in the U.S., but some departments may require you to appear in-person. Alternatively, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) centralizes criminal justice information in the US, and can provide a nationwide background check; for information on this process please review the FBI website.

For more information on Criminal Record Checks, please click here.