Citizenship Services

Due to COVID-19 and limited staffing, the United States Embassy in Pristina is focused on providing emergency services for U.S. citizens. However, if your passport has expired or will expire in the next six months, or you wish to document your newborn child as a U.S. citizen, please contact to schedule an appointment. Please note that U.S. Embassy is not authorized to provide notarial appointments at this time.

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met.  Please read through the Birth Abroad section of our website to determine if your child meets these requirements. For a child born in Kosovo to a U.S. citizen(s), the child’s parents should contact the U.S. Embassy Pristina to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). Before scheduling your appointment, please read the instructions below thoroughly. Incomplete applications will result in delays and possible need for a second appointment. If the U.S. embassy determines that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, a consular officer will approve the application and the Department of State will issue a CRBA in the child’s name. For more information, please click here.

Applying for Consular Report of Birth Abroad?

Our goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. To help us make your visit a brief one, please come prepared with all of the necessary documents and include both parents on the appointment request.


  1. Completed and Printed DS-2029 (PDF 62KB). Do not sign the form!
  2. Minor’s Kosovo birth certificate – Original and Two (2) Copies.
  3. One Passport Photo (5cm x 5cm).  Eye glasses are no longer allowed in passport photos.  For more information, please click here.
  4. Proof of parents’ citizenship and identity – Original and Two (2) Copies.
    • American parent: U.S. passport; or U.S. birth certificate, showing filing date and issuing office’s seal; or U.S. Naturalization Certificate; or Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
    • Foreign parent: valid government-issued identity document, including photo and signature.  If unmarried, Certificate of Eligibility to Marry from Civil Registry Agency.
  5. Parents’ marriage certificate (if applicable) – Original and Two (2) Copies.
    • Proof of termination of all previous marriages (divorce or death certificate) – Original and One (1) copy.
  6. Proof of U.S. parent’s physical presence in United States prior to child’s birth:
    • Old passports (can be U.S. or foreign passports), U.S. entry/exit records
    • School Transcripts/Records (not diplomas)
    • Employment, social security benefits statement or paycheck receipts
    • Travel, medical, or any other records
  7. Evidence of relationship between child and parent, and of relationship between parents. Examples include birth/pregnancy records, family photos, correspondence, and other printed materials.
  8. CRBA fee – $100. Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners Club) or cash, payable in U.S. dollars or euros at the Embassy’s exchange rate.
  9. Parents and child must appear in person.


  1. Completed and Printed DS-11 via the Online Application Wizard or printed and completed by hand.
    • Please include your current local commercial address in Kosovo (even a temporary one) as the mailing address. Listing a U.S. address as the mailing address is not permissible!
  2. One Passport Photo (5cm x 5cm) – One (1).  Starting November 1, 2016, eye glasses will no longer be allowed in passport photos.  For more information, please click here.
  3. Fee –$115. Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners Club) or cash, payable in U.S. dollars or euros at the Embassy’s exchange rate.
  4. Completed and Printed Statement (PDF 80KB) by parent that minor has been never issued a Social Security Number.
  5. If one parent is not physically present, then notarized form DS-3053 (PDF 52KB) should accompany the application along with a copy of the passport.


Applications for Social Security numbers are processed by the Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) at U.S. Embassy Athens.  Please click here and scroll to “How to Apply or Correct a Social Security Number” for more information.