The U.S. Embassy in Pristina, Kosovo reminds U.S. citizens that U.S. and European authorities continue to warn of possible terrorist attacks in Europe, citing repeated threats by terror groups. As we approach the end of 2015, the U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens of our Worldwide Travel Alert that urges travelers to exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at holiday festivals or events, including Christmas markets. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds or crowded places.
Some European governments have decided to re-establish border controls. Travelers may expect delays due to heightened security measures at airports and train stations. We encourage travelers to contact transport companies for the latest information and to arrive at airports and train stations early.
All U.S. visitors or residents in Kosovo should be aware of their local security situation, and take appropriate steps to bolster their personal security. There is a continuing threat in Europe from persons planning attacks inspired by major terrorist organizations but conducted on an individual basis.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities. Specific safety concerns should be addressed to Kosovo law enforcement authorities who are responsible for the safety of all visitors to Kosovo.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kosovo Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kosovo located at 30 Nazim Hikmet St. Arberia/Dragodan, 10000 Pristina, at +(381) 38-5959-3119 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal or Kosovo holidays). After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(381) 38-5959-3000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.