The U.S. Embassy in Kosovo reminds U.S. citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance and take steps to enhance your personal security during the holidays. New Year’s Eve and the New Year are marked in Kosovo with fireworks and often with celebratory gun fire. Be aware of your surroundings at cafés, restaurants, or public gatherings. If something or someone looks suspicious leave the area immediately and contact the police. Take care to avoid large crowds. To avoid injury, keep a safe distance from those using fireworks. If you hear gun fire, immediately seek cover in a building.
For More information on Security in Kosovo
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kosovo Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kosovo located at 30 Nazim Hikmet St. Arberia/Dragodan, 10000 Pristina, at +(381) 38-5959-3119 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal or Kosovo holidays). After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(381) 38-5959-3000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.