The Kosovo Police and the Prime Minster have called on all citizens to increase vigilance, avoid whenever possible concerts, sporting events, night clubs, bus stations or shopping malls, and alert the police about any concerns.
U.S. citizens in Kosovo should review the State Department’s Worldwide Caution, which provides information on the continuing threat of terrorist actions and violence against U.S. citizens and interests throughout the world, including Europe.
Recent terrorist attacks, whether by those affiliated with terrorist entities, copycats, or individual perpetrators, serve as a reminder that U.S. citizens need to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness, particularly in public gathering places. If you observe unusual or suspicious behavior, become a victim of a crime, or need police assistance, please contact the Kosovo Police at 192 (cell phone), 92 (landline), or 112 (general emergency dispatcher).
We encourage you to review personal security plans, maintain a high level of situational awareness, and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security:
• Avoid large crowds and public gatherings.
• Use lights, locks, and alarms in your residence.
• Be vigilant when walking on the street.
• Be aware of your surroundings where groups of people congregate. If something or someone looks suspicious leave the area immediately and contact the police.
• If you hear gun fire, step inside a building or seek overhead cover.
• If you plan to travel, limit who you tell and never post your intended travel plans on social media.
We encourage U.S. citizens to follow local media for up-to-date information on security issues, demonstrations, and potential disruptions of traffic. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Updated demonstration and security messages from the Embassy are available 24/7 here.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kosovo Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kosovo located at 30 Nazim Hikmet St. Arberia/Dragodan, 10000 Pristina, at +(381) 38-5959-3119 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal or Kosovo holidays). After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(381) 38-5959-3000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.