U.S. Embassy Pristina informs U.S. citizens that according to media reports, protests are expected to take place in front of the Assembly building near the National Theatre in downtown Pristina, today October 15, 2015. Political parties in Kosovo will be demonstrating against recent political agreements. The anticipated size of the protest is unknown.
U.S. Embassy personnel are restricted from Mother Theresa Square.
Previous demonstrations took place in Pristina along Mother Teresa Square on Monday October 12, 2015, and became violent with police using tear gas and other methods to disperse demonstrators. The protest may block key road intersections and/or disrupt public transportation.
U.S. citizens should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Further demonstrations in Pristina or other areas may form with little or no notice. U.S. citizens are advised to respect local laws, pay close attention to developments and potential traffic disruptions through local media, and plan alternate routes should you find your original plans affected. Demonstrations in one city have the potential to lead to additional public rallies or demonstrations in other locations around the city and country.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kosovo Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kosovo located at 30 Nazim Hikmet St. Arberia/Dragodan, 10000 Pristina, at +(381) 38-5959-3119 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal or Kosovo holidays). After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(381) 38-5959-3000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.