U.S. Embassy Pristina informs U.S. citizens that demonstrations are expected to take place in front of the National Theater at Skenderbeu Square in Pristina, beginning at 1400 on November 28. Several organizations associated with the KLA (Kosovo Liberation Army) will be demonstrating with the stated purpose of protesting against the imprisonment of several Kosovo citizens in Macedonia. Pedestrian traffic on Mother Teresa Blvd is expected to be heavy. We anticipate the size of the protest to be approximately 1000 people.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in Kosovo:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kosovo Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kosovo located at 30 Nazim Hikmet St. Arberia/Dragodan, 10000 Pristina, at +(381) 38-5959-3119 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal or Kosovo holidays). After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(381) 38-5959-3000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.