The U.S. Embassy Pristina informs U.S. citizens that Vidovdan gatherings are expected to take place at the Gazimestan monument beginning at 13:00 (today) on June 28, 2016, the Liturgy at the Monastery Gracanica at 13:00, and in North Mitrovica at the square “Sumadija” at 16:00. The various groups of citizens will be commemorating the Battle of Kosovo Polje of 1389 and traffic disruptions are expected throughout the area. The anticipated size of participants is unknown.
Even gatherings intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kosovo Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kosovo located at 30 Nazim Hikmet St. Arberia/Dragodan, 10000 Pristina, at +(381) 38-5959-3119 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal or Kosovo holidays). After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(381) 38-5959-3000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.