U.S. Embassy Pristina informs U.S. citizens that according to reports, demonstrations are expected to take place in North Mitrovica from 11:00 a.m. on Friday January 29, 2016. The protest is expected to start at Sumadija square and head towards the Mitrovica Basic Court. Various groups will be demonstrating against the recent sentencing of Oliver Ivanovic. The anticipated size of the protest is unknown.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kosovo Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kosovo located at 30 Nazim Hikmet St. Arberia/Dragodan, 10000 Pristina, at +(381) 38-5959-3119 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal or Kosovo holidays). After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(381) 38-5959-3000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.