U.S. Embassy Pristina informs U.S. citizens that protests are expected to take place in downtown Pristina on Wednesday, February 17, 2016, along Mother Teresa Square and near government buildings from the National Library of Kosovo through the Assembly of Kosovo. Opposition political parties in Kosovo will be demonstrating against the Government of Kosovo. This date coincides with Kosovo Independence Day. The anticipated size of the protest is unknown.
U.S. Embassy personnel are restricted from Mother Theresa Square and from the area between the National Library of Kosovo and the Assembly of Kosovo from 11:00 a.m.
Similar demonstrations in October, November, and January along Mother Teresa Square, became violent. The events may block key road intersections and/or disrupt public transportation.
U.S. citizens should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Protest organizers have called for related protests throughout Kosovo. Demonstrations in one city have the potential to lead to additional public rallies or demonstrations in other locations around the city and country. U.S. citizens should monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kosovo Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kosovo located at 30 Nazim Hikmet St. Arberia/Dragodan, 10000 Pristina, at +(381) 38-5959-3119 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal or Kosovo holidays). After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(381) 38-5959-3000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.