Location: Kosovo, countrywide
Event: The Department of State wishes to alert U.S. Citizens to the heightened risk of terrorist attacks in Kosovo, particularly during holiday seasons. U.S. Citizens should exercise caution at holiday festivals and events around the Catholic and Orthodox Easter celebrations. Extremists continue to focus on tourist locations, shopping malls, bars, houses of worship, and other soft targets. Please exercise additional vigilance in these and similar locations.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile: Remain cognizant of your profile in public and avoid drawing attention to yourself as an American.
- Review your personal security plans: Criminals and terrorists could monitor to your movements. Vary the route and times of your movements to become a more unpredictable target.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Identify the location of emergency exits and security services when in public places.
- Avoid crowds/demonstrations: If you are in an area where a crowd gathers (celebration, demonstration, etc.) attempt to leave the area or, at a minimum, move to the edge of the crowd where you can leave if necessary.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
- Monitor local media for updates. Monitor social media, TV and radio announcements, or instructions from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest you.
- U.S. Embassy Pristina, Kosovo
+ (381) 38-5959-3001
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Kosovo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.