Location: Decan/Decani – approximately 50 miles (80 km) west of Pristina, Kosovo
Event: The municipality of Decan/i has declared a state of emergency due to possible water contamination. Per media reports, 1500 people have sought medical assistance in the municipality since Saturday, July 10th. Fortunately, few have had serious medical complications. Until the source of the contamination is determined, the Ministry of Health has called on all Decan/i residents to avoid using water from the local supply system.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid publicly supplied tap water in the Decan/i municipality; use bottled water as needed.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Visit the CDC Travelers Health Page.
- Consult the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for country health advisories or call CDC at 800-232-4636 or 404-639-3534.
- U.S. Embassy Pristina, Kosovo
+ (383) 38-5959-3000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ministria e Shendetesise
- Kosovo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.