*** Starting on June 12, 2022, the CDC will no longer order air passengers to show a negative COVID-19 test result, or show documentation of recovery from COVID-19, prior to boarding a flight to the United States. Of note, CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information please click here.
- Read the current Health Advisory for Kosovo.
- The health situation is subject to changes.
- For information on the number of COVID-19 cases within Kosovo visit: https://www.facebook.com/IKSHPK/
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Kosovo? Yes
- There are PCR and rapid antigen tests available from several private labs in Pristina and major towns in Kosovo.
- Are test results reliably available within 72 hours? Yes
- Turn-around time for results from the private clinics vary from several hours to 24 hours and are available via email and hard copy.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- Has the government of Kosovo approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- The Kosovo Ministry of Health has approved the use of rapid antigen testing. The standard test in Kosovo for diagnostic purposes is COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) molecular detection of viral RNA using real-time RT-PCR. Serology testing has been used for surveillance as well as diagnostic purposes.
- Are vaccines available in Kosovo for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes. The vaccine is available to both resident U.S. citizens and visitors without an appointment. For more details please see Kosovo Ministry of Health information available in Albanian and Serbian only.
- Which vaccines are available in Kosovo? Astra Zeneca and Pfizer. The vaccine is limited to individuals over the age of 12.
- The United States Government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines regarding COVID-19 vaccination.
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- Information from the CDC regarding COVID-19 vaccination
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Not by the Kosovo government, but may be required by airlines.
- As of May 1, 2022, Kosovo does not seek your vaccination status records, however we recommend you bring your vaccination records with you.
- Airlines, transit points, and destination countries impose a patchwork of different testing requirements and airlines may refuse boarding for some passengers (including U.S. citizens and Kosovo residents). Airlines have the sole authority to decide who they allow to board their aircraft. Generally, pre-travel testing is recommended.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- The Pristina International Airport is open to travelers.
- Check with the airlines, airports, and the U.S. Embassies located in your countries of transit to verify entry/exit requirements and be aware that they change frequently.
- Check the entry/exit requirements for each country before crossing international land borders.
- The latest government decision can be found here: (English) (Albanian) (Serbian).
- Is a curfew in place? No.
- For access to all public institutions, malls and dining inside restaurants, customers over the age of 16 are obliged to possess evidence of vaccination, or those who are medically exempt must present a negative PRC test not older than one week.
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Public transport is allowed to operate.
- Taxis are allowed to work.
- Wearing a mask is recommended when indoors.
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
Fines for Non-Compliance
- Not applicable at this time.
- American Citizen Services: We are offering full ACS services (passport renewals, first-time passports, CRBAs and notaries). Once you have completed all necessary forms/paperwork, please click here to schedule an appointment.
- Immigrant Visas: We are offering full immigrant visa services for all categories of immigrant visas services. For more information, please visit: https://xk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/.
- Nonimmigrant Visas: We are offering full nonimmigrant visa services, but capacity for routine scheduling remains limited, because of the backlog. For more information, please visit: https://xk.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/.
- Kosovo National Institute of Public Health web and Facebook page (Albanian only)
- Pristina airport
- Kosovo Border Police
- Kosovo University Hospital – Infectious Disease Clinic (Albanian only)
- Register for STEP to be notified of important local changes.
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- What the U.S. Government is Doing
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Global cases
- Travel.state.gov Kosovo Country Information and Travel Advisory page